Luis Rios, 35, was gunned down on June 24, 2005 at approximately 8:25PM in Yuma, Arizona. Police were called after hearing shots and a man screaming for help and when Yuma Police arrived, they found a fatally wounded man struggling in the backyard of 2037 East La Mesa Street. He was raced to Yuma Regional Medical Center where he died shortly after.
Police then went inside the residence and discovered five more victims, four of them children. Adrienne Heredia, 29, and her four children, Andreas Crawford, 13, Enrique Crawford,12, Inez Newman, 9, and Danny Heredia, 6, had all been shot to death at the home as well.
Family photo of Adrienne, Andreas, Enrique, Inez and Danny
Photo of Luis Rios
Neighbors described an adult man who appeared to be Hispanic entering the home right after the shooting. Based on descriptions given by witnesses police were able to put together a composite sketch of what the suspect may have looked like.
According to authorities, two people close to Luis Rios have not been cooperative in the investigation.
There was an extensive investigation by Yuma Police Department as well as other agencies. Hundreds of interviews were conducted, hundreds of tips were followed but the person(s) responsible was never identified. Police are asking tipsters to call again, even if they originally called with a tip.
Yuma Police Department has received information from people who have wished to remain anonymous. Some of this information needs additional follow-up and they hope those individuals will contact them again so they can talk to them and obtain additional information. These contacts can remain anonymous. There will be no need to give names or contact information, but the opportunity to talk with them will prove invaluable.
Below is a list of some information police would like to find out;
- They would also like to speak to the male tipster who called in on 78-CRIME on June 25, 2005, at 8PM in reference to a white van, to include a license plate and the names of several subjects possibly involved.
- They’re also asking another caller who called in on 78-CRIME advising of Luis Rios being involved in any type of argument at RC Liquor prior to the murders, to please call again.
- Anyone who has any information on Luis Rios having been involved in any argument prior to the murders.
- Anyone who had contact with Luis Rios, Adrienne Heredia, Enrique Crawford, Andreas Crawford, Inez Newman or Danny Heredia on the day of the murders June 24, 2005.
- Anyone who saw or knew the whereabouts of the Blue Durango that was stolen from the residence and later located in the area of 6th Avenue and 21st Street.
- Anyone who has information on why anyone close to this investigation is refusing to cooperate with us.
- Anyone with information on the subjects seen on surveillance video from RC Liquor on the afternoon of the murders that was released earlier to the media.
The murders took place at this residence on E. La Mesa Street, Yuma, AZ
Rios vehicle, a dark-colored Durango, which was located the following day (6/25/05) at 6th Avenue and 21st Street in Yuma